Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 16 September 2013

Constitutional!

Grabbed a couple of hours at the Fen today, following a weekend down in Oxfordshire / Bucks. Few nice odds and ends: an Otter swam through Fen Hide scrape, a Kingfisher flashed away from the Sluices and the Snipe were still loitering in front of Tower Hide.

On the Hawker front: chatting to Ben, I'm resigned to spending more time at Winterton next year trying to nail Common Hawker. I'm still confused by the DFs I photographed at North Pool: they were both much too big to be Migrants, but seem to have lacked most of the necessary features to be the target species. Perplexing that the ones I saw look very much like some of the Commons on Wikipedia and other online resources, and aren't significantly different from some of the images in my field guides.....

While we're being technical: the guides say that a narrow bar joining the eyes is a discriminator for Variable Damsel - so is this one?

Just outside my office window is a Bay Tree which has an old Blackbird's nest in it: several Wrens roost in it every night, ignoring the purpose-built box that Linda put up!