Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 3 September 2013

Fabulous day in the Yare Valley!

Unbelievable! One of those days I shall remember for a long, long time! The day started well (but late!) with a good selection of Odonata at the Fen: Norfolk Hawker (late!) Southern Hawker, Brown Hawker, and literally hunreds of Migrant Hawkers. I decided on a walk to Buckenham, and just past the 'White Cottage' noticed a distant but distinctive silhouette on overhead cables. Trying to keep to the footpath (which has been ploughed over for potatoes!) I eventually got in position for some good shots of a gorgeous juvenile Cuckoo.

I walked round to the pump: predictably the scrapes were bone dry.... On the way I added Whinchat to my Yare Valley list! Aside from that, just hundreds more Hawkers and a flock of feral Barnacle Geese!

Returning to Strumpshaw, I bumped into photographer chum Brian Tubby. We enjoyed a catch-up and I was just about to leave when I saw a distant Osprey. We ran (!) round to the river, where Brian found the Osprey sat on a dead tree. It soon moved off, so I elected to chase it round to Fen Hide. Here I watched the bird wheel round and return, to be joined by a second Osprey! Stunning! I really hope Brian got on them both!










No comments: