Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 12 August 2014

Vandalism....

Now I'm a huge fan of Strumpshaw Fen and the terrific work put in by the wardens, so I'm not in any way implicating them in this....

Today, when I visited my favourite part of the reserve (the North-West corner past Dr George's house) I was dismayed to find that all the willow scrub and wild flower slopes have been cleared and harrowed! This section of the Fen is by far the best for butterflies and dragonflies: I have seen up to ten Willow Emeralds roosting by the path here, and the sandy slopes and willow bushes have always held Brown Argus and high numbers of all four of the Yare Valley hawker species.

I wonder whose 'clever' idea this was? Could it be the same thinking behind the felling of the Scots Pines that were the only regular feeding site for Crossbills because '...they aren't native trees'?


 
 

No comments: