Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 19 June 2018

Another Clearwing hunt at Strumpshaw!

Since Linda is still away, I decided on another visit to the Fen to see if I could add White-banded to the list (Both Rob H and Ben L have found the species there this year) In the event I had an enjoyable ramble around, taking more decent photos of the super-abundant Currant and Red-tipped Clearwings, as well as two slightly different looking individuals.

Almost the first moth to come to the CC lure flew around it twice before zooming off: I wondered if it might be a Yellow-legged CW, but I don't believe it's the right habitat. The second visitor was undoubtedly a Currant CW, but it had a white tail! After that, the lure attracted lots more Currants, but nothing else new, so I moved to the sandy path.

As I was setting up the 'mones, a Red Kite flew over: I bellowed out to a primary school group in the meadow, who looked up in time to enjoy this lovely raptor. Red-tippeds came almost straight away: in total I counted around a dozen. Other interesting insects came to investigate too, including a striking Longhorn Beetle of some sort. Back at Reception, Ben L and David Norgate were releasing last night's moth catch: I couldn't resist photographing two Elephant Hawk Moths!

Great morning, despite the weather forecast being entirely wrong!





 
 


 








No comments: