Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 22 July 2018

Bungay Street Market - and Castle!

It's that time of year again: many Norfolk and Suffolk towns close their main streets and stage open air antiques and collectibles markets. Today it was Bungay, in Suffolk - in a week's time it'll be Harleston! These fairs are really good fun and Linda and I always manage to find something to spend our money on: today it was crab and wild garlic pate and some terrific plants for the garden!

Many years ago I was in an electric folk band (touch of the Fairport Convention / Steeleye Span!) One of our songs concerned Sir Hugh Bigod and his feud with the King, and included the lines:

"Were I in my castle of Bungay, upon the River Waveney,
I would not care for the King of Cockney,
Nor all his finery!"


Despite having lived in Norfolk for over 45 years, and having visited Bungay on a number of occasions, I've never managed to find the castle: today I did!

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Quality Street tin in picture 3 was designed by my old blues harp playing comrade Garth Coupland: if not, it's very similar to one I know he produced!

 







No comments: