Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 7 August 2018

Strumpshaw Fen at its very best!

Anticipating a very hot day, I arrived at the Fen by 5.30am. Almost the first bird I saw was a Kingfisher in front of reception, followed by a family party of Bullfinches and another of Whitethroats.

I decided to walk straight to Tower Hide, but found that the three long-staying Great White Egrets were fishing on 'Accidental Broad'. I enjoyed watching them (in company with ten or more Little Egrets and twenty Grey Herons) before a couple of young Marsh Harriers spooked them.

Very little water remains in front of Tower Hide, but there were a few waders: three Ruff, three Snipe and a Green Sandpiper. I walked back to Fen Hide to meet Brian and Norman, to discover that I'd missed a Bittern by a couple of minutes. A close Snipe was good to watch, as were several Little Egrets. After catching up on each other's news, we walked the circuit along the River Yare and back via Lackford Run. One of the Great Whites was preening on the point before flying out of sight among the reedbeds. Back at Reception three Kingfishers entertained us by doing circuits of the pool: one stopped to have his picture taken! I have to express my regrets that the Kingfishers were not around on Saturday when my chums Jason and Jane visited the Fen: they were really keen to see one...


 
 






No comments: