Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 21 October 2018

More habitat lost in Norwich and some Owl action on the Heath!

Every Sunday (unless it's raining!) Linda and I have an early breakfast and drive the short distance to the Harford Park & Ride Car boot sale. It really is a terrific place for a bargain: today's star buys included a Barn Owl nesting box and a vintage Alcock Aerialite centre pin reel. In the past I've bought guitars, amplifiers, books.... even fossils!

Learning from previous experience, I always take a camera with me: to the west of the Park & Ride is a belt of deciduous woodland that is a breeding site for several species of warbler, as well as both Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers: Buzzards and Red Kites are common visitors and we've seen Oystercatchers, Little Egrets and Sparrowhawks fly overhead..

Today as we arrived a pair of Green Woodpeckers were flying over the trees, 'yaffling' continuously: the cause of their anxiety soon became apparent as the sound of chainsaws shattered the early-morning tranquility. By the time we left, several large trees had been felled: I fear the worst....

Last night was the peak of the Orionid meteor shower, so (arriving home from a dinner party at midnight!) I thought I'd watch out for a few. In the event I only managed a couple, but two Tawny Owls (both males) and a Barn Owl were calling close by for half an hour: Linda and I need to get the nest box up ASAP! The star cluster is the well-known Pleiades or 'Seven Sisters': they're a splendid sight at this time of year.




No comments: