Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 23 November 2018

Dunlin: Hudsonian / Pacific or Southern?

I've been scrutinising online images and my old copy of 'Shorebirds' and have also received one or two helpful e-mails: I have more or less reached the conclusion that the long-billed Dunlin I photographed at Cley was probably one of the three races mentioned above.

Below is a photo sent to me by correspondent Bob Cobbold, which seems to show a similar type of bird, also photographed at Cley: he felt his bird was most likely hudsonia or pacifica and I concur with him: I would just add that schinzii seems a good fit for mine...

Another couple of responders who 'wish to remain anonymous' had other opinions, but - as is well-known - I will not publish anonymous comments.


No comments: