Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 19 July 2019

Southern Migrant at Theberton Woods

As Brian and I were waiting to see the Purple Emperors during Wednesday's Suffolk excursion, Kessingland birder David Borderick pointed out a Migrant Hawker dangling from a nearby bush. As I was photographing this, another hawker flew past several times: it seemed very blue, and I assumed it was a Southern Hawker or even an Emperor.

Later it flew past again, and I took a quick photo, simply because I haven't seen Southern Hawker yet this year. Today I was checking twitter to see if the Pacific Golden Plover was showing and came across David's fabulous photo of the 'blue' Hawker: it was undeniably a Southern Migrant Hawker! I attach David Borderick's photo - I hope he won't mind: if he does, I'll take it down straight away. Of course, I wish I'd realised at the time and got better images: still - a new species for me!

My photo


David Borderick's photo

Migrant Hawker

No comments: