Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 25 November 2019

I went down to the crossroads...

Funny thing: as I get older, I realise that the only music I've ever really related to, tried to emulate and listened to with total passion is the blues. I'll never play like Peter Green, Eric Clapton or Robert Johnson, but that doesn't stop me trying. I have several good friends who can blow me away when they play blues: there's Tim Parker and Ross Coupland on guitar and Ross's dad, Garth Coupland on harmonica. To play with these guys is as near as musical heaven as I've experienced: add in a bassist as good as Colin Roberts or Michael Elliott and I feel genuine empathy with my favourite music and its exponents....

I've just rewatched (for the millionth time!) a film that comes close to explaining what blues music is about: "A good man feeling bad"

If you've never seen 'Crossroads'. don't be put off by the youthful male lead - it's a terrific piece of cinema, with astonishing guitar playing by Ry Cooder and Steve Vai.

No comments: