Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 18 May 2020

Lockdown, pagers and rare bird services

I happened to glance at the RBA birdmap 'lite' to see that a Lesser Yellowlegs had been reported at Titchwell: other recent birds in East Anglia have included Corncrake, Cattle Egret, Black Kite, Red-necked Phalarope and Bee Eater. Some of the above (and many others) were at NWT / RSPB reserves, or privately-owned estates such as Holkham, all of which are currently closed. Even though we can now drive wherever we like (as long as we can return the same day) most of the coastal birding hotspots in Norfolk have no facilities for visitors (toilets / parking / food etc) So why would I want to know about the Lesser 'legs? Or the Red-necked Phal at Cley? I can't legally go to see them!
What's more, the local population - and councils - are still asking people not to visit the coast for the time being.

I turned my RBA pager off at the start of lockdown, for the simple reason that I didn't want to be tempted to sneak out after a bird. (I did look at the RBA birdmap and Bird Forum, just in case something was on my patch.) I've turned it back on now, but the two 'off patch' trips I made were not in response to any of the bird info services. (Potter Heigham and the Brecks, both within current guidelines and both virtually deserted.)

I wonder if RBA and the others are going to offer us a refund or credit for the three months when we couldn't act on their posts? 😁

No comments: