Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 14 May 2020

Suppression: ways and means!

As I was checking my Facebook page early this morning, a post from a FB 'Friend' popped up, announcing that he was looking at (and had photographed) a Bee Eater. Now knowing that this guy lives in the next village (no more than a minute away by car!) I pm-ed him for details. No reply. Just on the off chance, Linda and I immediately drove to the presumed location and checked out all the suitable overhead wires / bare branches, but to no avail, so returned home for breakfast. The finder had by now posted a close range photo of the bird and added that there were two present! I noticed that several of his friends (from elsewhere in the country) had advised him not to give details to avoid poor social distancing and telling him what a clever chap he is! Eventually he replied to me, saying that the bird was not in his village. I reckon - knowing where this guy tends to do his birding - that I know where he was...

My take on all this might irritate some people, but here goes! What on Earth was the point of the initial posting if the finder had no intention of revealing the location? If he wanted to keep his find to himself (for whatever reason) I don't have a problem with that at all. But, IMHO, posting about it on social media - even putting up photos of the bird - is just irritating and frustrating. I know he checks my tweets, FB and blog regularly and is not averse to following up my bird info, so I find his refusal to reciprocate a little hard to take. I have, of course, 'unfriended' him!


No comments: