Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 15 September 2020

I need a new telescope!

I spent some time yesterday afternoon rigging up a counterbalance on my 4.5" refractor and attaching a DSLR with a 3x Barlow lens in anticipation of a clear sky. This duly occurred, so I set up in the back garden and began trying to image Jupiter, Mars and Saturn: the results are below.

I now realise a few things about these 'cobbled together' attempts at astro-imaging:

*  The focus on my 'scope is not sensitive enough

*  Without an equatorial mount, the ISO has to be too high and the f-stop too low for a sharp image

*  What you see is not what you get.

I think I've just about reached the limit of what is possible with a low-end refractor on an altazimuth mount. The thing is, I'm 70 soon. Is there any point in spending a couple of thousand pounds to take better quality photographs that no-one will ever really look at?



3 comments:

Anne and Pam said...

Go for it David. Think of the pleasure it will give you - forget the age thing.

high peak said...

if you can afford it why not, you should have at least 20 years left in you

David Bryant said...

Thanks so much, ladies!
Now where did I put that two 'grand'? ;)