Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 14 September 2020

Lesser Yellowlegs at Runham

I was just settling down to do some office work (making labels for some new, rare meteorites) when the pager bleeped. Within a couple of minutes I had changed into birding gear and was on my way through the back lanes to the little village of Runham. A short walk from a group of barns and I was standing next to Steve Gantlett, enjoying somewhat distant views of a fine Lesser Yellowlegs. When the bird moved a few metres to a small pool behind a wind pump, we followed. 'Ticker' walked a bit further than I, which was a shame, because I quickly relocated the bird feeding close by with a Greenshank. Having grabbed a couple of quick photos, I turned to inform Steve and two new arrivals (Pauline and Peter) but when I turned back the birds had gone... After waiting for a further half an hour, I decided to get back to the office work.

(Update! Just had an e-mail from Pauline: she and Peter stayed patiently on site and eventually saw the Yellowlegs!)

No comments: