Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 11 September 2020

Pectoral Sandpiper at Dickleburgh Moor

The last time I visited Dickleburgh Moor was in 1987 to connect with a Sabine's Gull that had been blown there by the infamous hurricane! The Brothers Lansdell often mention the newly-created nature reserve, but it took a year-tick Pectoral Sandpiper to finally tempt me down the A140!

When I arrived, a couple of very pleasant local birders seemed to be watching the bird from the end of the north bank. I joined them and was soon enjoying this unmistakable yank wader through one of their telescopes. Also on show were Green Sandpipers, Greenshank and three Spotted Redshank - all somewhat distant for photography. Well over fifty Little Egrets were poddling about in the shallow water - the most I can recall seeing at an inland site.

After a few minutes I thought I'd seen the Pec fly over to the other side of the water, and suggested a walk round: the others followed and on the way we were joined by John and Gary Richardson and their posse. The Pec was a lot nearer, but in silhouette: through a scope it was excellent, but not so terrific to photograph. Still: you get the idea!










No comments: