Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 30 November 2020

Is it just me???

When I take a daily stroll through Twitter, Facebook, Birdforum and my favourite blogs, I come to the conclusion that I'm one of very few birders who are taking the current lockdown seriously. The web is crammed with photos of terrific birds at the moment: Pied Bill Grebe, Greater Yellowlegs, Sociable Plover and so on, as well as tempting Norfolk year ticks such as Iceland Gull, Lapland Bunting and Great Grey Shrike.

I rarely go after birds outside the county these days (Luckily, I have in fact seen 3 Sociable Plovers and 2 Pied-billed Grebes in the past!) but under normal circumstances I'd have been out most days over the past fortnight: always great to walk the Lighthouse Cliffs at Happisburgh, the dunes at Minsmere or Winterton Beach at this time of year, but I made the decision that this Autumn was going to be spent at or very near home. I haven't been anywhere apart from the very occasional exercise trip: the only exceptions were a couple of brief walks with Linda after shopping. 

So if this blog is full of 'tedious astronomy' as someone recently remarked, that's because I've made the decision not to 'stretch' the Government's current regulations.

6 comments:

Steve Gale said...

No, not alone, but one of a caring and morally responsible gang. You are one of the good guys...

David Bryant said...

That's very kind, Steve... but I bet we're in the minority :(

Unknown said...


Hi David,

Just a different viewpoint. I live alone and suffer from seasonal depression. Birding is the one thing that keeps me sane. I have visited Broadland, east Norfolk and North Norfolk over this period of lockdown. I bird watch by myself. Have made the decision to limit my social interactions with friends and family and have kept to all other regulations.
The government has allowed birding, I have only stayed in Norfolk my county so personally I don't see what harm it does, given all I have stated above and I stay away from crowds (not an issue here)
As for travelling outside Nelson's county, why do it when we have so much to enjoy here, I agree with you on that point. Sorry for the long message. Roger ps love the astronomy

David Bryant said...

Point taken, Roger...
I'm more concerned about carloads of birders turning up in North Norfolk / Suffolk from Tier 3 areas: you are obviously minimising your contacts as far as possible: your choice - mine is to minimise them all together. Stay healthy and thanks for your comments.

high peak said...

If people complaining about too much astronomy how about some more 'esoteric' posts like on the other website you have (not sure if still updated?).

ps if roger is staying in his car by himself and getting out where there are no others, i see no issue. its mixing which is the issue.

David Bryant said...

Hi 'HP'
Yes: 'Chilling Tales' is still going strong and is updated most weeks... It's had well over a million hits since I reset the counter three years ago!
And yes: totally agree about birding alone outside being more or less 100% safe: but I was really posting about big twitches where little common sense is being displayed.