Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 2 January 2021

My latest toy!

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before camping outside with my new telescope and CCD camera: I reckon it'll take me a while to master the tracking software and remote control with a laptop...

Meanwhile, I discovered the 'Astrotracer' feature in two of my Pentax DSLRs (K-3 and K-30)
When linked to a GPS module (which fits on the flash 'hot shoe') the camera's shake reduction system will actually follow a celestial object such as a planet or nebula by tilting the sensor! The manual claims you can use exposures up to five minutes (although I reckon you'd need to re-centre the target now and again.) Lots to learn: if it's clear tonight, I might have a bash at the Orion nebula.

No comments: