Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 22 June 2021

Black-winged Stilts and Bee-eaters: a red letter day!

Since Linda had scheduled a hive maintenance day, I thought I'd dash out to see if I could connect with both of today's East Norfolk star turns!

First stop was Hickling, where a short walk along the path to Stubb Mill revealed the pair of Black-winged Stilts. It was pleasant to bump into Richard 'the Hat', an acquaintance from the days of Nancy's and the Cley Coastguard Cafe. A Ruff in chestnut breeding finery was, strange to say, a year tick!

After an hour or so, I decided to head back to Yarmouth for seconds of the Bee-eaters, which had apparently been showing again. When I arrived, however, they'd disappeared northwards. A really nice guy from Colchester (we never swapped names!) kept me entertained with stories - and photos - of 50lb+ carp he'd caught. Bee-eater was a new bird for him, so I was really pleased when all nine eventually reappeared, at one time circling and calling overhead. Other interesting species included Hobby, Great White Egret and Marsh Harrier.










No comments: