Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 5 November 2019

A very obliging Kingfisher at Strumpshaw Fen.

Despite the early fog, I decided to visit SF this morning, in hope of a Jack Snipe. Settling down in Fen Hide at 7.15, I enjoyed wonderful views of... the fog! Now and then I glimpsed a Water Pipit, a Jay, a Heron and the odd Marsh Harrier: I heard a few Bearded Tits and Water Rails.

Having met up with Brian and Adrian, I settled down to drink my flask of tea and spend another half hour (more in hope than anticipation!) To our surprise, a male Kingfisher arrived and began fishing - it visited virtually every perch, including the very nearest! Once it departed, Brian and I carried on around the reserve, adding just a distant Treecreeper to the list.

 











No comments: