Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 16 August 2013

Suffolk insects!

While Linda and I were on our way to stake out the badgers, we stopped at Minsmere for a walk around Dunwich Heath and the RSPB reserve, as well as for a spot of lunch. Southern & Brown Hawkers were everywhere: Docwra's Dyke had dozens of both patrolling up and down and ovipositing. Similarly, Painted Ladies had obviously arrived in good numbers to compete with the vast clouds of Peacocks and Small Torts on the reserve's buddleia bushes. I thought I'd found a Yellow-winged Darter: certainly the individual shown below had yellow patches on its inner wings - but on reflection, I decided it was a Common.... The sandy area around the reserve centre had lots of Ant Lion pit-traps: one day I'd like to see an adult! The bat was photographed at Rendlesham Forest - you can make out the moth it was chasing!








No comments: