Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 3 July 2015

Odds and ends at Upton

On a whim, I popped across to Upton Fen for an hour or so: a good decision as it happens!

As soon as I left the car park I became aware that a good 'hatch' of everything had taken place: there were damsels, dragons and butterflies everywhere, while Hobbies cruised above to pick off the high-flyers!

During the walk round I came across four Swallowtails (three were pristine: the one I photographed was a wee bit 'pecked!) The first Southern Hawker of the year perched high in a tree, while Norfolk Hawkers were everywhere.

As I squelched through a sun-dappled boggy glade a large dragonfly flitted from one reed stem to another, frustratingly out of sight apart from two wings. But! The fore-wing I could see had a yellow costa! It had to be a Common Hawker! I crept slowly past to try for a photo, only to find I was too close to focus my 500mm lens! I took three quick shots (the best of which is below....

So, after a cool four years, I was certain I'd added Common Hawker to my Norfolk list: however, Adrian from 'Bugalert' was kind enough to look at my fuzzy picture and call it as a female Southern Hawker! Oh well: back next week!








No comments: