Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Monday 10 July 2017

Frits and bits at Strumpshaw!

Having read about my frustration at not connecting with the two - possibly three - species of clearwings at the Fen, top birder (and top bloke) Rob Holmes offered to lend me his set of pheromone lures for a week. I met him at the Broadland Business Park, passing the time until he arrived by photographing Emperor dragonflies at the Waterside Café: terrific place!

After we said our goodbyes, I drove a few hundred metres to a small gravel pit to look for a reported Little Gull. No sign, unfortunately, but a Little Ringed Plover was feeding industriously.

To cut a long story short, I spent all day - until the rain started - attempting to lure some clearwings at three different well-known locations: all to no avail! However local wildlife enthusiast Emma and I were more successful with White Admirals (now looking a little tatty) and a pair of pristine Silver-washed Fritillaries.  I am beginning to enjoy looking at wasps: there are so many fascinating species ranging from microscopic to Hornet...





 

 


 

No comments: