Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 2 May 2017

An hour or two at the Fen.

As usual, Brian, Norman and I had agreed to meet at Strumpshaw for a walk round. Brian wasn't going to arrive until 9.00, so I left home at 7 and whizzed across to Halvergate to see if the Cattle Egret was showing better. In fact, all the cattle had been moved and a ditch digger was being loaded onto a flatbed, blocking the entrance to  the marsh track, so there was no point in lingering.

As I headed west to Strumpshaw, I had to stop to avoid running over a Wheatear along Porter's Road, Freethorpe. I opened the window and was about to take a picture when a loud car horn scared the bird away and reminded me that even the byways of Norfolk are not appropriate places to stop and take photos!

The Fen was pretty unproductive, to be honest: the water levels were (as usual) far too high, so no waders at all, and the cool wind kept the resident wildlife low down among the reeds. Still: lots of Marsh Harriers, two Cuckoos flying together, a Grasshopper Warbler and lots of Sedge Warblers (one ringed) were the highlights.







 


No comments: