Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 28 September 2017

Nighthawk: one that got away...

One Autumn several years ago, Martin Read (a friend of mine with whom I've shared many amazing birds) had one of those bitter-sweet birding experiences. He was walking through Norwich when he noticed a long-winged, dark bird swooping around a street light - this was in the daytime, by the way. He immediately realised that he was looking at a Nightjar of some sort and that, this being Autumn, it had to be a rare vagrant. Martin made field sketches (he's a brilliant artist) and submitted these to the usual pundits and committees, all of which dismissed the observation virtually out of hand.

Yesterday morning, as I was getting ready to go out with Linda, Norman and Brian, I glanced from the kitchen window and noticed that Venus was quite high above our newly-trimmed hedges. I realised there was a chance to catch a glimpse of two other planets in the pre-dawn skies: Mars and Mercury. Accordingly I stood at the window trying to pick them out along the ecliptic. After a minute or two, I noticed a long-winged, dark bird (!) swooping around over next door's garden. It flew over the hedge and apparently began chasing insects around our large Chusan Palm. I watched it for perhaps ten seconds (which is longer than you think!) before it flew north and out of sight. As you do, I ran through all the things it could have been: Hobby, Kestrel - nothing seemed to fit. In my heart of hearts, I knew - know - it was a Nightjar of some sort.

Now: Nightjars are early migrants and push off to warmer climes in August. Do any of you know whether or not a few linger until September? (The picture below is - obviously! - a simulation.)


No comments: