Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 17 September 2017

The Moon, Venus and a UFO in the dawn sky...

I tend to be an early riser - 5.00am is usual - which suits many of my interests. Today I glanced from the office to see a particularly good example of 'The New Moon in the Old Moon's arms' This beautiful phenomenon occurs when the reflected light from the Earth illuminates the unlit portion of the Moon's disc. Since I could also see Venus peeping over the clouds, I decided to take some photographs.

When I used the higher power lens (300m and 1.4 converter) I could see a bright object just above the Moon. I took three photos as it moved right, brightened and 'stretched' before speeding away to the south. Most intriguing! It wasn't the ISS, an Iridium flare or a star (the Moon is in Cancer, with no bright stars nearby)

Good to hear both Little and Tawny Owls calling nearby!

 







No comments: