Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 31 March 2018

Four Spoonbills at Buckenham Marsh: what a difference a day makes!

Having seen Steve Smith's 'tweet' about four Spoonies at Buckenham, I was out of the door and driving through the rain by 7.30. With incredible timing the Sun popped out as I arrived and I was able to walk down to the hide in a brief spell of fine weather. On the way I picked up a decent group of Avocets (20+) sharing the large scrape with a Great and a Lesser Black-backed Gull. I could see the Spoonbills over towards the old windpump: they were quite close to the path with a few Little Egrets, Wigeon and Teal (You can see one photo-bombing the Wigeon-in-flight shot!)

Just before I reached the hide, a dog walker drove past, parked and released four Labradors and a Jack Russell, which ran off along the top of the river bank, flushing everything. The Spoonbills relocated further into the marsh, so I waited for the walker and his dogs to carry on along the skyline towards the windpump, before following along the dedicated trackway. I managed some decent views of the Spoonbills (one of which seemed to have been ostracised by the others!) before retuning to the car, seeing a well-marked Buzzard on the way.










No comments: