Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 2 October 2021

Buckenham Marsh: no Stork, but an interesting wader...

Yesterday evening Linda and I went for a walk at Buckenham RSPB, on the off chance that the recently-present White Stork might be loitering: it wasn't! We bumped into 'Yare Valley Justin', who had enjoyed decent views previously: he was of the opinion that it was the West Norfolk bird, originally from Cambridgeshire. Of interest were my first Pink-footed Geese of the Autumn, flighting in from the east to join the newly-arrived Wigeon and Teal.

Since I was dropping Linda off at Brundall Station this morning, I thought I'd have another bash: still no luck, but some superb bulls were out on the grazing marshes. Dozens of Egyptian Geese had joined the Greylag and Canada flocks: while I was examining these I found a longish-billed wader. Through binoculars it appeared to have yellow-orange undercarriage: I briefly considered Greater Yellowlegs, but decided it was a Spotted Redshank: if so, that's a first for the Yare Valley for me. A Marsh Harrier seemed to be labelled 'TS': I imagine it's a local bird.

Only other noteworthy observation was the large numbers of Chinese Water Deer: I counted over twenty!













No comments: