Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 13 January 2023

Terrific read for reformed (or current) twitchers!

I'm about half way through Sussex birder Gary Bagnell's 'Twitching by Numbers'. For anyone who chased around after birds in the 'good old days' when petrol was cheap and speed cameras hadn't sprouted everywhere, Garry's book is evocative of an era when competitive birding was good fun!

Garry is probably known to many from the TV documentary 'Twitchers', in which his loyal words about mentor Lee Evans are rewarded by several less than complimentary comments from the 'judge, jury and executioner'! (You can watch this on Youtube still!)

When this book was first released it was criticised by a few 'guardians of morality' for a couple of poorly-considered paragraphs: these have apparently been removed. OK: the grammar and proof-reading are not up to Booker Prize standards, but I personally am finding the book exciting and hard to put down.

I am amused to find that I reached 400 birds on my UK list well before Garry, but have stultified around 440: I should have tried harder! Mind you, I've seen a few 'blockers' that he still needs!


2 comments:

Adam Maizey said...

Hey David. I ordered the 1st print as soon as I heard all the controversy. I am not that far in but so far I cannot see what all the fuss is about. Your comments are right, its no masterpiece but as a complete 130 newb I am finding it interesting. Thanks for the Youtube heads up and very much enjoying your blog. Cheers - Adam

David Bryant said...

Perhaps I should write a birding diary! Now that would be controversial! ;)
Glad you find the blog entertaining!