Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 9 June 2023

Cranes and other odds & ends at Strumpshaw

Strange thing: I've nearly reached the 200 mark on this year's list, but still haven't seen a Goldcrest or a Treecreeper! With this lacuna in mind, I left home early and was walking around the Fen by 6.00am. Needless to say, despite two circuits, neither species surrendered itself!

There were a few interesting bits: I'm told that Cranes have finally bred on the reserve, so I wasn't that surprised to encounter a pair on the meadow: no sign of any youngsters, though.

A couple of fleeting Grasshopper Warblers and the usual phyllos and syvias were along the Sandy Path, while a Chinese Water Deer and her fawn showed absolutely no fear of me near the renovated pump house. The only interest at Tower Hide was a pair of Great Crested Grebes with a couple of chicks hitching a ride!

On the way home I stopped at Buckenham: no Garganey, but two Little Gulls still.











No comments: