Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday, 20 August 2026

Black Shuck at Blythburgh Church

Anyone who drives along the A12 past the Blyth Estuary will have noticed the imposing Norman church standing on high ground to the west. This is Holy Trinity Church, the 'Cathedral of the Marshes'. I must have passed the church a hundred times or more, usually on the way to or from Minsmere, but until Tuesday I'd never actually stopped. I had wanted to visit the church for years, ever since I read about the claw marks allegedly scorched into the north door by Black Shuck, the huge 'hell hound' of East Anglia. The beast is supposed to have appeared inside the church during a thunderstorm in August, 1577, reputedly killing two parishioners before disappearing...

The scorch marks are plain to see, but - of course - their origin is open to conjecture. I would just reflect that I have personally had two encounters with a similar creature: I make no firm claims about the supernatural nature either of the animals I saw, but you can read about the experiences HERE.







No comments: