Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Strumpshaw Fen - it's been a while!

I used to visit the Fen several times a week: it's where I met Brian, Norman, Mark and many others. Sadly it has steadily metamorphosed into a country park, with all kinds of 'activities' for kids. However, it still attracts interesting wildlife, and if you visit early and avoid weekends / holidays it can still be a peaceful, enjoyable venue.

My visit today was a quick walk round to Tower Hide, in an attempt to finally add Garganey to the year list: I think I probably did, in that one of the female-type 'Teal' had a blue speculum. Lots of other confusing waterfowl, including the 'mini female Red-crested Pochard' below!

Great and Little Egrets were abundant, as were Migrant and Brown Hawkers, Emperors and Willow Emeralds... Naturally there were a few Hummers too!

















No comments: