Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 24 September 2019

Ruddy Shelduck at Strumpshaw: getting lucky for a change!

I try to meet Brian at the Fen every Tuesday, but today the weather looked less than promising. However, since I was already awake, I thought I'd try to beat the rain, and was at the reserve by 7.00am. I went straight round to Tower Hide, bumping into  friends Tina and Rod on the way.

At first there was very little of note, but after a good scan I picked out a Garganey: an eclipse drake, I think. Apart from a skulking Water Rail, four Swallows and a few Marsh Harriers that was it for ages: eventually Brian arrived and Tina and Rod left. As I was having a final scan (the rain being about to arrive) I suddenly noticed that a Ruddy Shelduck had joined the dozen or so Egyptian Geese over to the right. I'm almost certain this is the same hybrid that Brian, Norman and I encountered at Kelling Quags recently...









No comments: