Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 27 September 2019

Osprey and other raptors at Strumpshaw Fen

I felt the need to add a few miles to my Fitbit log, so dodged the showers for a walk around the Fen, arriving at around 9.00. There was no sign of the recently-present Jack Snipe, either at Reception nor Fen Hide: there were plenty of Marsh Harriers and Buzzards, however, as well as frequent fleeting glimpses of Kingfishers.

As I was leaving Fen Hide I glanced north west to see a distant, large raptor hovering in the wind: it could only be an Osprey! I ran back to the hide to alert the two birders with whom I'd been chatting: sadly the bird never came really close, but it was interesting to watch it being harassed by a Hobby!

Other birds included a small flock of Bearded Tits along the Sandy Path, numerous Cetti's Warblers and a distant Red KIte.







No comments: