Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 18 July 2019

Turning down the chance of some cash and a bit more notoriety!

Three times in the past week I've been invited to take part in TV or radio 'debates' about the Apollo moon landings. The reasons I seem to be in such demand are quite straight forward:

1) I have a degree in Astronomy and have been a professional scientist for 18 years.
2) I've met almost all of the Apollo Moonwalkers and Command Module pilots.
3) As a one-time pilot in the Navy (albeit not a very good one!) and would-be astronaut, I have studied the Apollo hardware and mission profiles in some detail.
4) I had a book published some years ago that identified some serious anomalies in official accounts of the six missions. (I shan't rehearse these here - e-mail me if you want details!)

I have been offered four figure sums to participate, but have turned down every offer: experience has forced me to conclude that I will never get a fair and impartial 'hearing': there is always an undercurrent of scorn, ridicule and entrenched belief. This is rarely based on any specific knowledge: generally far from it. A few days ago there was a documentary on TV about the 'Moon Landing Conspiracy' (I hate the 'C' word!) A 'physicist' was asked why there was still thick dust under and around the LM: his reply was:

* The descent stage motor wasn't very powerful
(In fact 10,000lb thrust!)
* It was shut right down well above the surface
(It was throttled back to 55%: 5,500lb thrust)
* The descent engine was turned off well above the landing zone to allow the LM to drift down
(No! The LM had engine stop arms: only when these touched the surface was the engine shut down) The first words spoken on the Moon (allegedly!) were by Buzz Aldrin: "Contact light.... OK: engine stop'

You might enjoy the images below: the first is Harrison Schmitt (photographed from above by Gene Cernan) on an Apollo17 EVA. The second is a close up of Schmitt's helmet. The third is an even closer view. Who's the third astronaut? And why doesn't he have a PLSS? (Life support back-pack)



No comments: