Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 16 January 2020

Cranes, Cattle Egret and Ferruginous Duck: business as usual!

With a free morning and - finally - the promise of reasonable weather, I headed out to the Trinity Broads to look for the reported Smew / Long-tailed Duck. In the event, I saw neither! On the way there, however, I stopped to look for the Cranes and found twenty plus either side of the road near Acle Bridge. (The only bird of note at Filby boardwalk was a Bittern that flew off as I approached.)

I carried on to Yarmouth seafront, but, despite a good search, couldn't find a single Med Gull. Returning westward along the Acle Straight, I took a quick look for 'my' Cattle Egret near Halvergate. On this occasion this delightful bird had elected to perch in a tree! As I moved on, I came across a group of five Pinkfeet right by the Acle - South Walsham road: most unexpected!

Last stop was Ranworth Broad, where I bumped into a very pleasant pair of birders from Lincoln: I'd met the male member of the team before, at the Eastern Yellow Wagtail! The Ferruginous Duck put in an appearance but, once again, was somewhat distant. The alder carr held Siskins and a pair of Bullfinches...















 

No comments: