Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 26 September 2020

Seawatch at Walcott: some good birds (but no good photos...)

With further gale-force north-easterlies forecast, I decided to drive to Walcott on the 'corner' of Norfolk in the hope of a storm-blown seabird passage: this venue offers the distinct advantage that you can park right on the seafront and use the car as a hide. In the event (as is often the case here) the birds were present, but just too far out for photography - and I wasn't getting out of the car in any case!

During the couple of hours I watched, plenty of ducks flew north: all, as far as I could see, Teal and Wigeon. The 'good stuff' was further out and flying south: two Sooty Shearwaters, a skua (probably a Bonxie) and, I'm fairly certain, a Sabine's Gull.  Probably the best birds, though, were two Leach's Petrels that fluttered by a few yards apart in the surf - I managed a single dodgy photo of one of them.

On the way home I stopped to admire a flock of Pinkfeet, Egyptians and large gulls at Waxham.












4 comments:

John Eady said...

Juvenile Sabine's gull - nice one. And Leach's petrel is a great car tick! The best I've managed is a long-tailed skua 20 years or so ago! All the best, John

David Bryant said...

Thanks John!
It's been a while since I've seen a LTS: fingers crossed there's still time this Autumn!

Unknown said...

Picture four shows four Pintail and three Wigeon. Best, Mike

David Bryant said...

Thanks Mike...
Funnily enough, I had noticed the Pintail, but failed to mention them in the text!