Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 10 June 2022

Spotted Sandpiper at Titchwell

Yesterday Linda, Peter, Sue and I spent the day in  Suffolk with friend Joyce: a lovely, relaxed walk around the Potton Hall sculpture trail (photos later) with Nightingale, Stonechat, Woodlark and lots more - including a ring-tailed harrier. I  was somewhat distracted by the knowledge that there was a Summer-plumaged Spotted Sandpiper at Titchwell, but was determined to have a bash at seeing it first thing on Friday (today!)

Leaving home at 4,00am, I found myself totally alone on the reserve an hour later. I sat on a convenient bench and scanned the various bunds and islands (a Spoonbill was good to see)  until I eventually located this delightful little 'yank'. I've only seen one previously, and that was in non-breeding plumage. How terrific, then, that I was able to enjoy this example at reasonable range, allowing good views not just of its spots, but also barred outer tail feathers. All this and a Barn Owl on my way home!








2 comments:

Anne M said...

Best Spot Sand pics I've seen David. Well done.
Anne M

David Bryant said...

Thanks Anne!