Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Wednesday 19 July 2023

Black-winged Kite at Horsey / Hickling

Yesterday morning I woke up like grim death, with really yucky flu-like symptoms. Naturally (having spent Friday night playing and singing in a crowded music venue) I tested for Covid straight away: thankfully the result was negative.

A glance at the pager revealed that an almost mythical bird - a Black-winged Kite - was commuting between Hickling and Horsey. I was considering whether or not to test my physical condition by taking the short trip out to the East Coast, when RBA reported that the bird had flown north, being recorded at Trimingham. This took the decision out of my hands!

This morning our car is in the garage for a long overdue check of a rumbling wheel-bearing: guess what? The Kite has returned to Horsey! But even if I had transport, I feel so grim that even a 'first for the UK' wouldn't tempt me. This is, of course, conclusive proof that I can no longer claim to be anything other than a casual birder! I imagine the walk south from Horsey Mill might be a trifle fraught: it's a busy road with no footpaths....

This species has been highlighted as an almost certain future colonist: my hope therefore is that either this individual sticks around until a) The car is fixed and b) I'm fixed or that, like London buses, more will follow soon! (Photo from a 'free to use' website)

No comments: