Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 1 July 2023

Lesser Scaup and garden Kites!

Since I knew Linda would need the car today, I dashed out through the traffic to Colney yesterday afternoon to see if I could catch up with the reported Lesser Scaup: this is a first for Norfolk, but I've seen the species in the past, as far back as the UK's first record on Chasewater, back in 1987.

As you'll see from the photos, the wildfowl are a very long way from the only viewpoint and no-one present felt certain they'd seen the Scaup. I happened to remark that there'd been a Scaup present on the larger pit while I was photographing the White-winged Black Tern: one of the others replied that this was the same bird!

On returning home I looked through my SD cards and found just a single image: this I posted on Twitter. Lee Evans was kind enough to message to say that this was, indeed, the Lesser Scaup!

Opening the Church today, I was pleased to see both the Little and Barn Owls: they seem to have become fixtures! Back home, another regular - a Red Kite - circled over the garden...





No comments: