Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 13 October 2016

Strumpshaw bonus: but don't believe everything you're told!

I grabbed a ninety minute window for a run round the Fen in an attempt to catch up with the reported Great White Egret. I started off at Tower Hide, on the basis that it had been seen there yesterday. As I entered the hide a guy sat in the left-hand side called out "The Great White is over in the corner!". I walked over and peered over his shoulder, but saw only a Little Egret. "Where is it in relation to the Little Egret?" I asked. He remained silent for a moment, before replying: "No - that's a Great White!" I pointed out the bird's small size, shortish neck and - above all - black bill, but he would have none of it, even when the bird flew off, revealing bright yellow feet. He then went on to say he'd seen Jack Snipe at Fen Hide, before exclaiming: "Oh! There's a couple here too!" Needless to say, these were Common Snipe....

It was time to head home, but I dropped into Reception Hide for a brief chat with Mick and Mary, two SF regulars. As we talked, first a (distant) Water Rail scuttled across and then a much more obliging Kingfisher (two, actually!) perched on the depth gauge: great stuff!
 










No comments: