Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 2 April 2020

At last! A photo of a Nuthatch on the patch!

I began taking daily five-mile walks nine years ago, when I was told that I was 'borderline Type 2 diabetic.' Whenever possible I try to avoid taking medicines, so I've self-regulated ever since with diet and exercise. The reason I mention this is that when I began walking I merely plodded around the block: up the road to Pedham, back round by Plumstead / Belt Road and home via Woodbastwick Road. I quickly found that:

a) This wasn't far enough!  and
b) The roads were too dangerous for walking (apart from in mid-Winter)

For these reasons, I soon spread my metaphorical wings and drove somewhere nicer (and safer) to start. Given the present circumstances, my walks at the moment are a return to previous routes: apart from a few 'essential motorists' (?!) the circuit described above is currently a lot safer - and quieter! The lack of traffic has made me aware of some fairly dramatic changes. The most common bird noises these days are Lesser Black-backed Gulls and Buzzards: neither species was likely in 2012. On the other hand, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits are much scarcer...

Today I included the Pedham walk in my circular itinerary and, to my delight, added Golden Plover to my 'Lockdown List'. Additionally (having heard them on several occasions) I finally managed to see and photograph a pair of Nuthatches en route. A chunky Sparrowhawk was good to see, as were numerous Buzzards, including a nearly all-white individual.










No comments: