Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 23 April 2020

Thursday walk: two new 'lockdown ticks'!

This lockdown listing is a bit like 24-hour bird racing:

1) A new bird is exciting, whether it's a Kestrel or a White-tailed Eagle
2) You sort of feel you're doing well if you get both the Whitethroats

Well I didn't see any Eagles today, but I did get the two Whitethroats, both on the bridle way from the Church to South Walsham Fen. In fact, I heard three Lesser Whitethroats: more than I recall from the Heath in twenty years. Lots of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, and Willow Warblers have begun to dribble in, with two new arrivals noted today.

An amusing occurrence: as I was halfway down the bridle way I heard the unmistakable sound of a calling Green Woodpecker. I searched the dense foliage and saw... a Great Spotted Woodpecker! I thought to myself "I never knew Great Spots did that!" and then a Green Woodpecker flew off from the same branch!

Still no Meadow Pipit!













No comments: