Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 16 April 2020

Four new 'lockdown ticks', but no photos.

Since birding friend Keith had mentioned yesterday that he'd encountered a Ring Ouzel within walking distance of my front door, I decided to take a look this morning. The three planet conjunction was still spectacular in the dawn sky as I headed northwards through Hemblington, although the Moon has travelled further east. I now realise just how well-off we are for Song Thrushes these days: I truly think I was never out of earshot of at least one during my whole walk.

First new bird was a Green Woodpecker that yaffled at me from a tall Oak, followed soon after by a Mistle Thrush that crossed the road between the tree canopy above me. After inspecting the various gulls following the plough (and finding a worm-eating Buzzard with them!) I crossed the Panxworth Road and took the path alongside the ruined church. Lots of Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, as well as the first Willow Warbler of the year. Even better, though, the unmistakable 'rattle' of a Ring Ouzel from the dense hedge. Frustratingly, I briefly saw it through the foliage: sadly, this was so dense, there was nowhere to poke my head (or camera) through for a search. I carried on past the barns and their beautiful garden: nothing to report apart from Robins, Pied Wags and more Song Thrushes.

Crossing the road, I took the bridle path past South Walsham Fen down to Hemblington Church. Lots of Yellowhammers, House Sparrows and Linnets, but by now the sky was so bright that photography was a bit of a challenge. Two newly-arrived Swallows were on the wires above friend Katherine's pond...














No comments: