Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Friday 10 April 2020

More lockdown ticks! Marsh Tit and Wheatear...

Today's circular walk was notable for the almost complete absence of any traffic, meaning I could plod along a road that would normally be far too dangerous for pedestrians. (Having said which, on the first part of my route round to the reservoir, I was looking at the rear end of a couple of horses for half a mile, before they moved aside to let me overtake!)

First new birds were a pair of Marsh Tits in the old Oaks near the reservoir. Two Song Thrushes and a Nuthatch were on territory still, and I heard numerous Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs. Local birder Keith B rode up on his bike: we chatted for a minute or two at a suitable distance, discussing the fact that in past years we'd both encountered Wheatears on the 'Golden Plover field'. Several more Yellowhammers in new locations were good to see, before I caught up with Keith at the top of the Heath. Amazingly, he'd pinned down a pair of Wheatears! Somewhat distant, but great to see: once he'd pointed out these delightful migrants, Keith sped away: I wonder if he noticed the three Roe Deer on the other side of the road?

The last leg back towards my village added a few Buzzards, more Nuthatches and a Blackcap. To my surprise, the ploughed fields just before 'Heathlands' still held a large flock (over 200!) of Fieldfares.

















No comments: