Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Thursday 1 October 2020

Yellow-browed warblers in Yarmouth Churchyard

After a completely unproductive walk around Buckenham Marsh (Why don't 'we' get the waders that are turning up at Dickleburgh?) I decided on a quick visit to St. Nick's to look for migrants.

Years ago, this was a pleasant, enjoyable venue: I have great memories of Red-flanked Bluetails, Radde's Warblers, Collared Flycatchers and much more besides. Today, the place felt quite threatening: several gangs of drunks shouted aggressively: one group released a vile little terrier of some sort that raced around the churchyard chasing squirrels...

I made a couple of quick circuits and was about to leave when I bumped into local birder Chris Small: feeling a little less vulnerable, I joined him (at a distance) and spent another hour near the 'Sainsbury's gate' Holme Oak. Now and then a small warbler flock passed through: there were certainly two Yellow-boweds, as well as a Blackcap and, I assume, a Willow Warbler. Chris also saw a Pied Flycatcher, but I missed that: would've been a year tick, I'm embarrassed to admit! Sorry about the poor image quality: it really was a gloomy day...





No comments: