Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 7 November 2021

Bang!

Although we live pretty much in the heart of the countryside, Linda and I would never have to pay to attend a firework display: on both Friday and Saturday evenings it was like the Somme Barrage up here on the Heath!

I'm not complaining: I'm like a big kid when it comes to fireworks. I'm aware of the alarm they cause wildlife or pets that are left outside over the Guy Fawkes period and I doubt if it will be long before they are banned, but there is something about the sight and sound of pyrotechnics that is thrilling on a visceral level. This probably hearkens back to the glorious freedoms of the 1950s and early sixties when my older brother and I started a rocket club. We made our own high-energy fuels that propelled some truly amazing rockets thousands of feet into the sky....










No comments: