Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Wednesday 19 June 2024

Caspian Tern at Buckenham Marsh

I was just about to start breakfast when the pager announced that a Caspian Tern had been found at Buckenham, just five minutes from my front door. I checked on 'X' and was reassured by a post with photos by the finder, Drew Lyness. I threw on some clothes and was walking down from the station before 07.30, just in tine to watch a Red Kite and Marsh Harrier spook all the birds on the pool! Drew was still there - the only birder all the time I was present - and he confirmed that the tern had flown west. I thought I might as well stay for the half an hour I had available - Linda needed the car for a doctor's appointment. 

After perhaps ten minutes I picked up the Caspian returning across the marshes and was pleased to see it drop down to its previously favoured spot. It received quite a bit of grief from the Avocets but more than held its own! Relectantly I left the tern - and Drew - to their solitude and drove home. (Ironic footnote: as I'm typing this the surgery has phoned to cancel Linda's appointment!)









No comments: