Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Tuesday 7 March 2017

A quick walk around the Fen and Buckenham Marsh

I had to stay at home to wait for a plumber, so couldn't get to the Fen (where I'd arranged to meet Brian T)  until 10 o'clock. Although his car was in the car park, he wasn't at reception or Fen Hide (and neither were any birds!) so I carried on round to Tower Hide. A couple of the regulars were there and pointed out the only birds of note - a pair of Common Snipe - and also told me that Brian had carried on round the reserve via Lackford Run. Since I didn't have chest waders, I returned to Reception, where we met after a brief wait. Some pleasant 'Summer Winers'  (from Bungay and Norwich) to chat with, but, in the absence of any interesting birds, I said my goodbyes and drove round to Buckenham Station.

The walk out to the River Yare and back finally produced some birds - albeit distantly! A Peregrine watched me walk past from the usual tree, while a large flock of Golden Plover wheeled overhead.  Further away, over Claxton, a mixed murmuration of Starlings, Lapwings and more Golden Plover made shapes in the sky...

The distant scrape (when will the RSPB move the 'hide' so that it actually overlooks this?) held three Avocet and five Ruff, while a pair of Little Egrets flirted with each other in the sunlight.










No comments: