Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Saturday 1 June 2019

Cattle Egrets, Spoonbills and much more: the early worm gets the bird!

Having heard about a flock of Cattle Egrets on the north coast, I left home at 4.30 and headed for the flooded grazing marsh near Stiffkey. Unfortunately, the Egrets had departed during the night and the only large birds were a Buzzard and a Spoonbill. I decided to take a look at Wells pools: as soon as I arrived I could hear a Turtle Dove, which a friendly midlands birder pointed out to me.

Three Spoonbills were on the pools, including a pair that carried out a display flight, before performing some charming courtship routines! Also present were three beautiful Grey Partridges, one of which posed in the beet field by the car park.

I decided to return eastwards, thinking it might be worth checking out Cley: the new pager saved the day, however, by pointing me towards Blakeney Freshes. As I parked in one of the two spaces by Friary Hills, I recognised Steve Gantlett, who (rightly) suggested that the best views would be from the top of the slope. The Egrets were there - all eleven - but somewhat distant. Steve kindly shared his scope, however! On a hunch, having said thanks and goodbye, I walked out along the meadow path and came across a local birder watching four of the Cattle Egrets at somewhat closer range. Fortuitously one of them had a brief fly around, allowing much better views...















No comments: