Don't forget: you can click on an image to enlarge it!

Sunday 23 June 2019

No noctilucent clouds, but a Quail and a mystery call...

Last night's beautiful sunset held the promise of another display of noctilucent clouds: accordingly, I drove to the top of the Heath (where there's a clear, dark horizon) and stayed there from 10pm until 11.30. Sadly, there were no clouds, but plenty of interest, nevertheless.

As it grew dark a Quail started to call from the barley: just half a dozen times, but totally unmistakable. Overhead, the Great Bear was spectacular, while on the southern horizon Jupiter was a brilliant sight. At the cost of over-exposing Jupiter itself, I managed to capture three of its Galilean moons.

Just as I was thinking of calling it a night, something began to call from the cereal field in front of me. I thought it was most possibly a Muntjac, but it seemed to move across the field too quickly for a mammal. You'll have to turn the volume up, but I'd be interested to receive any helpful advice!



 

No comments: